Thursday, November 04, 2004

Plan Ahead....OR ELSE!

For all those of my friends still in High School, and Cam, who I know was looking at a Law School somewhere across the world:

A guy who I go to school with, Chris, is from Ajax. (Yeah, that never gets old.) Anyway, I find that we have quite a bit of cultural stuff in common and it's really good to talk about how weird Nova Scotia can be with someone who gets it. Especially when one needs to vent. He doesn't really care if I brutalize Nova Scotia because he does it too.

But I digress...

The story is (and I'm paraphrasing this from memory) he wants to go to law school. So he went to some appropriate office and asked to see the info on Law School. I guess the lady there must have asked him what year he was in, and of course he said "first". She said "You're from Ontario, aren't you?"

Why's that now? Well, it seems that the culture of Ontario is so demonically focused on planning ahead that we think we're locked into what we planned on being 'when we grow up' when we were five years old. An idea that, I admit, I still have a hard time letting go of. Here, when Chris and I talk about grad school or the streaming that went on in Ontario, people look at us like we're speaking alien. There is waaay less pressure out here to...well, perform. I hold myself to average standards in Ontario, but here I'm seen as a bit of an overachiever, probably. I dunno...it's weird. But in a way, it doesn't make me more comfortable as someone would imagine. I just feel like this whole province has a lack of ambition, and that frustrates me more than anything.

Hopefully it doesn't rub off.

-Nat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home