Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Whatsoever things are brew....

I'd like to start this entry on a serious note, mentioning that I have recieved complaints from the general public (I'd even go so far as to call it an 'outcry') about my last blashphemous, impious entry. I aoplogise for any offense I have caused. Going to a Catholic school DOES have its benefits (sexy uniforms aside) and I will share those in an entry to come...I first need photographic evidence. So stay tuned for God's apology on my behalf...

For today though, I'd like to share a little about my school's motto, which I think is really cool.

"Quaecumque Sunt Vera"

This means "whatsoever things are true"...meh, by itself it's kinda boring. But the story behind it, although riddled with religion like everything else, is rather endearing.

It comes from the bible...not the bible you have, so don't go checking. It's from that like, director's cut bible that priests seem to have with a kajillion extra sections. Anywho, specifically, the passage that they read us is from St. Paul to the Philippians.

There's a lot of blah blah blah God talk, which is interesting enough, but I'm not going to take upn space here with it...so I'll just put in 4:8-9:

8 For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest,
whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame,
if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things.

9 The things which you have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me,
these do ye, and the God of peace shall be with you.


Yes, that's right...my school doesn't want to produce the smartest, fastest or even most successful kids...although I'm sure they love it when that happens. They mostly want us to look for the good and truth in life, and be good citizens of the world in doing so. I find that SO cool.

Points awarded to Catholocism.

Natalie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home