Thursday, October 27, 2005

Profs Say the Darndest things...




So, first of all, I will point out that this picture was taken in the Inn (our school's bar) on Cowboy and Cowgirl night. I know, Sam and I don't look terribly country, but we did know all the words to the songs...take that, posers.

Now, today's subject is: kooky things that profs say.

Item A: a priori (which means something like 'taken before the fact' or something...I dunno)

All of my professors mention this, and all of them pronounce it differently. This makes me laugh.
Byrne: "Eh Pry-or-eye"
Grenier: "Ah pree-or-EE"
Harrison: "ah pry-OR-ee"

...at least they all agree on how the 'or' part SOUNDS.

Item B: Grenier's crazy french idioms.

Grenier is French, and sometimes directly translates idioms from french into english. Here are some favourites:

"By their eyeballs and ears"
"That is little soup" (def: not important)
a "robot portrait" of someone (def: a generalization)
"late-minute" (probably a mangled version of last-minute)

Item C: Brown's terrible analogies/random sentences.


Our teacher, Douglas Brown, has some VERY odd stories and analogies....and a lot of them don't make sense. Today he said that something was dangerous, "like drinking while drunk". Uh...I do that all the time. I'm definitely in trouble.

Other things I learned from Douggie Brown?
-America has 49 states...uh..no, wait...50.
-Politics is all about tents. Who's in them, who's not, how big yours is.
-On that note, size doesn't matter, and length doesn't either. (maybe he was talking about essays?)
-The bigger the cleaveage, the bigger the difference. (This one was delivered with a wink and a nudge, but I have no idea how it's innuendo at all...I mean, sure, cleavage is sexy, but that just makes no sense.)
-Acadians hid in the woods for most of Canadian history.

Item D: Frank Harrison's Self-Depricating/Everyone-depricating humour.
My british History of Political thought teacher is funny. I love his class. One day a kid had commented on his talking about death a lot, and he said something like:

"Of course I talk about death more...I'm closer to him, inn-I? (that's how he talks)
He stops by every night for tea and a nice chat"

He also turns all moments into whatever we were learning at the time. Like people coming in late being subject to DOXA, the realm of opinion. (It is their opinion that they were late for a good reason)
or one day he was bleeding through his shirt and he said "oh! pain! my atoms are colliding quite painfully! get me some drugs!" (We were talking about Epicureanism...the philosophy of maximizing your pleasure and minimizing your pain.)

Anyway, that's all for today. I will have something to say about my other two profs at some point, I'm sure. (the girls, interestingly)

-Nat

P.S. I don't know why Harrison was bleeding through his shirt. It was on the back of his forearm. Your guess is as good, and probably as scandalous as mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home