Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The First Snowfall of the Winter

It was a day like any other. Walking outside in the cool Antigonish air, letting it hit my face as I walked. The air here has a quality of cleanliness that the air back home doesn't...it's like camping all the time. So beautiful.

I went to class, tried to listen to my professor talk about whatever it was....and then left. As I stepped out of Nicholson Hall, I saw it.

...Snow was falling! Huge flakes all over! There was a ton of it, and it was coming down pretty well. Most people were muttering complaints about cold or snow under their breath (or loudly...) but I was suddenly so excited. I practically skipped the short distance to the SUB and could tell that I had that smile...the one that you KNOW looks stupid but you can't help it.

I went into Jack's and found that most of the people in there were about as happy as I was, and we began discussing what we liked about snow, and various childhood/snow memories....probably. I might be romanticizing the moment. From there the moment was a lot like this:

"Man! Look at it! It just started coming down SO hard!"
"Holy! That's Sweet."
"Oooh...so pretty!"
"I wish we could go play in it."
*pause filled with conspiratorial glances*

At which point the OC lounge emptied out, its members runing through the halls of the SUB haphazardly throwing on coats and scarves, laughing like little kids. The usually cranky and straightlaced people in the Lounge seemed to think the whole thing was pretty fun-looking.

So we all played outside in the snow on the football field, and some people (Chris and SteveM.) slid down cheapskate hill. I only got hit by one masterfully thrown snowball, thanks to Edward, and had an awesome time. We all re-entered the SUB rosy-cheeked and ready for hot chocolate, not to mention reaffirming the notion that OC kids are the most spontaneous and fun people ON campus. Hah.

-Natalie.

P.S. since this is Nova Scotia, the snow was mostly gone by the end of the day. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home